Tuesday, October 4, 2016

87 Days

"Ms. Wise, Mira is doing great. Let's talk about rooming in and getting her home." Those were the words I've been waiting to hear since July 8, yet I was immediately overcome with anxiety.

In the NICU world, "rooming in" is a one- (or two-) night stand that parents have with their babies before going home. You stay overnight at the hospital essentially parenting your baby with very little help from the nurses. When we thought Mira was going to need oxygen at home, our rooming in experience was going to include learning how to work the tank, get the oxygen levels right, monitoring her pulse and oxygen levels, etc. Thank God for my little trooper, we don't need oxygen.

But I digress. So I get the call on Saturday afternoon that we need to talk about a going home plan and that doctors want me to room in with Mira on Sunday night. If all goes well, she will be released on Monday. It all felt like too much too soon (one would think I should have been prepared since this is really all I've ever wanted). But before I tell you how it all went, I'll give you an update on Mira from "head to toe" as her doctor would say:

  • She was born at 1 lb, 14 oz, she left the NICU at 5 lbs, 10 oz - what a plumpster!
  • She came home about nine days before her original due date...she would have been born next Wednesday had she held on a little longer.
  • Remember that hole in her heart? Well, according to the last scan of her heart, that pesky hole is almost gone. I believe the words the doctor used were "so small they can't measure it." All the prayers from all over the place worked and I really appreciate it.
  • Mira got her groin hernias repaired which, oddly enough, helped her breath better.
  • She had a hemorrhage on her brain that dissolved and is no longer present 
  • She passed her hearing test with flying colors (she's going to need those ears with a mama like me)
  • She did well getting all of her immunizations (no major setbacks)
  • Lungs are doing well, still developing though
  • She's struggling with lots of reflux these days, but we hope it will resolve itself
Ok, now, about rooming in and coming home. I roomed in with Mira on Sunday night (she struggled with her reflux and finding a comfortable spot and I miraculously did not sleep through her 3 and 6 a.m. feedings). And on Monday, October 3 around 4:30 p.m. Mira was released from the NICU. After 87 days of ups and downs, uncertainty, tears, lots of love, resilience, perseverance, mothering on 10, loneliness and joy, my little baby sweetness came home to fill our house with the same love she's filled our hearts with. Her going away was so beautiful as several of her nurses gave her gifts and rallied around her (literally) when she was leaving. 

Now that the NICU experience is all over, I am relieved. But, admittedly, I'm also scared and anxious. I want to be the best mom to her I can. I want to make all the best decisions for her and I want her to thrive. I also feel victorious. I feel victory over my natural instinct to control and plan. I feel victory because I surrendered to God's plan and tapped into the grace he gave me to be Mira's mom. Victorious because my only job was to stand by her side and I nailed it.

For every single person who called, text, prayed, sent gifts, words of encouragement, told me their NICU stories, gave advice, read this blog, checked in and loved my baby, I want to say thank you. Thank you soooo much. I could not have gone through my life's biggest challenge and greatest joy without it.

I'll continue to blog here as I keep loving and raising Mira. Thanks for your support and prayers.

Ok, so YES this dress is a bit much! And I think Mira is embarassed that her mom made such a big deal of her ride home.

Proud parents of a little miracle...we made it home!


6 comments:

  1. Best blog ever and best news ever! Welcome Home sweet Mira...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Kim. Her journey began with overcoming so I know she will a powerful woman that you raise. I love the dress. It is befitting a princess. Obviously everyone else is just underdressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your journey. We love you guys and can't wait to see everyone once you're comfortable....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Mira!!! I'm so happy!!!

    ReplyDelete